There are many cosmetic and surgical procedures that are appropriate for men. These procedures may increase their self-confidence and self-esteem. For men living with the embarrassing and feminizing condition commonly called “man boobs” or gynecomastia, having intimate relationships or participating in sports can be personally and emotionally devastating – so devastating in fact, that some men completely avoid physical intimacy.
• Men suffering from gynecomastia experience swelling of their breast tissue and tenderness. Excess localized fat and glandular tissue and can also be present in one or both breasts.
• Gynecomastia may be caused by a number of factors, including aging, health conditions which affect hormones, puberty, weight gain and the use of steroids or certain medications.
• The word gynecomastia is of Greek derivation meaning “female breasts” and describes a condition of over-developed breasts in men that can occur at any age.
• Diet and exercise can trim most areas of the body, but gynecomastia seems to be immune to most workout regimens.
Today, with the expertise of Dr. Kimmel and the caring staff of professionals at Keystone Cosmetic Surgery, your concerns about gynecomastia and whether or not to undergo surgery can be put to rest.
• Gynecomastia surgery is technically called “reduction mammaplasty.”
• This very specialized, outpatient surgery reduces breast size and flattens the contours of the chest.
• Surgery usually lasts about two hours. Patients may be discharged after a brief recovery period.
• Most of our patients return to work within a week and wear a snug-fitting compression vest under their clothing for several weeks.
• In severe gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause sagging of the areola. Repositioning of the areola can also be achieved with surgery.
If you are bothered by the size of your breasts, are in good physical health, do not smoke or use drugs, have a positive outlook and realistic goals for improvement – you are the perfect candidate for gynecomastia surgery. Dr. Kimmel is prepared to address your concerns and looks forward to meeting with you. Call to schedule a consultation, today.