Category Archives: Body Contouring
Why Velashape may be Your Pre-Summer BFF
- Friday, 30 March 2018 07:27
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
As summer approaches, many people start to sweat. Not because of the rising temperature, but because of their concerns related to unwanted fat and dreaded cellulite. You don’t have to sweat it out this summer. With the development of various non-surgical body contouring devices, it is more possible than ever to get the body you want well in advance of Bikini Season.
What is Velashape and Why Should You Care?
Velashape is a non-surgical body contouring treatment that is unique in its ability to reduce the appearance of cellulite. Many energy-based body treatments have been developed in recent years, but most are limited to the improvement in body circumference and the overall tightness of the skin. Cellulite is its unique beast, related neither solely to fat nor to laxity in the skin. Cellulite is a subdermal problem that occurs when fat (not excess fat, just normal fat) presses against the connective tissue just beneath the surface.
Benefits of Velashape include:
- Proven results. We could talk about the fact that Velashape is great because it doesn’t involve the usual risks and side effects of surgery. But you already know that. What we want to point out is that this particular device has demonstrated outstanding clinical effectiveness. After four treatments, patients noticed up to 3 inches in circumferential reduction. Even more exciting, cellulite reduction reached as much as 63%. Results are amplified due to the combined use of infrared light, bi-polar radio frequency energy and vacuum in each treatment.
- One of the disadvantages of some other non-surgical body-contouring devices is that they are designed for specific use. Velashape can treat large and smaller areas including the thighs, buttocks, flanks, stomach, arms, and neck.
- Combined treatments. Velashape is a great standalone treatment but is also suitable for combination with liposuction for more dramatic results.
- No downtime. Patients describe their VelaShape treatments as comfortable both during and after their visit. Side effects are mild and limited to short-term tenderness. In some cases, bruising may occur. However, it is possible to immediately resume normal activities.
Summer is quickly approaching, but we’re here to help you get a head start on your preparation. Contact our Pottsville or Hazleton office for a personal consultation to discuss your ideal body and how to achieve it.
When Liposuction Sounds Like a Good Idea
- Thursday, 15 March 2018 07:30
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
Patients who visit the offices of plastic surgeons around the world tend to have complaints that revolve around one of two glaring problems: facial aging and fat. Of course, there are other beneficial procedures commonly performed in our accredited facilities, such as breast augmentation and tummy tucks. For today, though, we want to focus on the various reasons why liposuction has maintained a solid position in the Top 5 most popular cosmetic surgery procedures year after year.
Liposuction has been recognized as an efficient fat-reducing surgery for many years. The advent of non-surgical body contouring treatments such as Liposonix (based on high-intensity ultrasound) has been good but hasn’t knocked surgical liposuction off its pedestal. Every patient to chooses liposuction for fat-reduction has personal reasons. We want to list a few of them here.
- Fat is so stubborn! Fat cells can accumulate in any area of the body. When they do, there is a good chance they may hang on for dear life. When you have spent months eating right and working out to diminish the pockets of fat on the thighs, buttocks, abdomen, or another area, it can be incredibly frustrating when cells just keep sticking around. Liposuction provides a fast and efficient way to say goodbye to stubborn fat for good.
- “I’d like my body back.” These are familiar words to a large number of moms who love being Mom but don’t necessarily love the Mom Bod. We don’t revere this as much as we have the Dad Bod (that’s a whole different topic of discussion!), and women interested in the shortest path to their pre-pregnancy body often find it in liposuction.
- Options, options, options. We live in an era of options, and we love it! One of the reasons that many patients give for their interest in liposuction is that they want to be able to wear clothes that show who they are, and that align with their taste. By refining body proportions, liposuction can make this possible.
Ultimately, the long-term results that come from liposuction can facilitate lasting confidence and satisfaction with your body. Learn more about this procedure by calling our Pottsville or Hazleton office.
Want your Bikini Body Ready for Summer? Act Now!
- Wednesday, 15 November 2017 07:31
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
It is usually during the months of Spring when we start to hear that little voice in our head grumbles about the upcoming bikini season. It seems only natural that we would feel the urge to slough off extra pounds as the weather warms up and heavy clothing starts to shed, layer by layer. There may never be a bad time to think about weight management, fitness, and body contours. However, to wait until the last minute could be more stressful than acting now, in the heart of Winter, to perfect your shape.
Why Body Contouring is a Great Wintertime Treat
There are a few key reasons why we encourage patients to think about their aesthetic goals now, during months when the body is rarely “on display.”
- The cover-up. After a body-contouring procedure like liposuction or a tummy tuck, or even brachioplasty, there is a bigger desire to cover-up due to post-surgical swelling and bruising. These side effects may linger subtly for several weeks. The last thing you want is to feel the urge to wear shorts or a bathing suit when your body is in recovery, so why not look into surgical body contouring when the weather demands more clothing?
- Time on your Hands. There is something to be said about the need for “me time” after a surgical cosmetic procedure. On the one hand, it may sound enticing to schedule treatment during the summer, when kids are out of school, but this could backfire. Winter proves to be a great time for cosmetic procedures precisely because kids are kept busy several hours a day outside of the home. This allows you the ample time you need to do nothing but relax and recover.
Let’s Talk about Non-Surgical Body Contouring
Not everyone is interested in whittling their middle with liposuction or other cosmetic surgery. Many people today prefer non-surgical methods of fat-reduction. We offer Liposonix® and Velashape for gradual slimming and cellulite reduction. There are clear benefits to non-surgical body contouring. However, these techniques take time to work – up to three months. For this reason, the “off-season” is a great season to schedule your consultation and treatment for a great bikini body.
Call our Pottsville or Hazleton office for assistance with your cosmetic needs.
Cellulite: It’s a Sticky Subject but We’ve Got to Talk about it!
- Saturday, 30 September 2017 08:19
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
Cellulite is a huge problem for women, yet it is a condition that we don’t understand quite as well as we’d like. As many studies have been conducted on this cosmetic topic, findings provide minimal insight. The good news is that we are moving in the right direction when it comes to helping women overcome the problem of cellulite. Some of the details that have been extracted from the research include:
- Cellulite is not a skin problem. What studies have found is that cellulite occurs when fat pushes up to the surface of the skin through septae, which are the bands of tissue that run beneath the skin.
- Cellulite is not a fat problem. Yes, obesity can make dimpling more prominent. However, there are plenty of “skinny girls” who feel the frustration of cottage cheese thighs. All it takes is a small amount of fat, and women carry more on their frame than their male counterparts.
- Cellulite favors the female form. It is pretty rare to see a man with cellulite, regardless of his weight. How unfair! The reason women struggle more with cellulite comes down to simple anatomy. In men, the bands of septae run in a criss-cross pattern. In women, they are more vertical in their path. This allows fat to push through more easily, causing that orange-peel appearance we love to hate.
- Weight loss may help, or it may make cellulite worse. Remember, cellulite is not a fat issue. So, while eating well and exercising is good, don’t expect incredible results regarding dimpling. Don’t give up, either! Studies suggest that muscle toning may improve the appearance of the skin over time.
- Liposuction is not a cellulite treatment. There was a time when it was believed liposuction, by removing excess fat cells, would improve cellulite. History has disproved this theory. To date, cellulite remains a challenge, but new treatments are being developed all the time.
Women in the Allentown, Harrisburg, and Philadelphia areas (to name a few) can find help with cellulite at Keystone Surgery Centers in Pottsville and Hazleton. Velashape multi-dimensional treatment deep-heats fat cells and connective tissue while also stimulating collagen and elastin production with gentle suction. Clinical studies indicate this precise combination of vacuum, radio frequency, and infrared light can significantly improve the texture and structure of the skin.
Contact us to learn more about Velashape and how it can help you love your look.
Not-so-common Liposuction Targets
- Thursday, 30 March 2017 08:09
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
Liposuction banishes unwanted fat by literally removing stubborn fat cells for good. This procedure has evolved over the years, and patients of Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center have multiple options for the technique used on their tenacious fat cells. Some of the common areas patients complain about included the abdomen, hips, buttocks, and even the back. While these are parts of the body that are commonly treated with liposuction, they aren’t the complete list. Here, we will look at some other areas that can be sculpted with liposuction.
- The knees. Fatty tissue can accumulate just above or around the knees due to a few factors. It isn’t only that fat has settled at the lowest point of the thighs, it’s that fat in this area may appear more prominent when skin loosens and becomes less resilient. Liposuction for slimmer, better-sculpted knees is gentle and has little downtime associated with it.
- The Neck. In many cases, neck lift surgery is maximized with the inclusion of minor liposuction. Lifting the skin on the neck improves appearance only so much, and cannot erase issues like a double-chin; that’s a job for liposuction. In addition to the double chin, liposuction can be performed to significantly reduce the appearance of neck rings associated with mild excess fat.
- The ankles. Did you know that some people are prone to fat accumulation around the ankles? It’s just a body-structure thing, and it may be hereditary. Heavier, shapeless ankles don’t have to be a concern that you live with. A sculpting session with an experienced liposuction cosmetic surgeon can make a world of difference.
In addition to body parts from the neck on down to the ankles, liposuction is also the method used to add masculine definition to the male chest. Men with gynecomastia used to have very few places to turn for help, but this is changing. Liposuction is an excellent treatment for this condition and can achieve permanent results.
From our offices in Pottsville and Hazleton, we serve patients from Lebanon, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Reading, and more. Contact us today to learn more about our body-sculpting treatments.
Consider These Procedures – And Get Your Body Ready For Summer
- Sunday, 15 May 2016 02:37
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
Here comes summer…with beach vacations and time at the pool. You definitely need to look your best. Now is the time to consider the many surgical, body-enhancing options we offer at Keystone Surgery Center. Read on!
- Bid adieu to loose tummy skin. A tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) removes excess skin and fat from the abdomen, resulting in a smoother, more toned stomach. Remember that a tummy tuck is not a weight loss procedure. It does address a tummy that is sagging as a result of a prior surgery, aging, pregnancy or a fluctuation in weight.
- Consider lipo. Struggling with stubborn fat that doesn’t respond to traditional exercise and weight loss methods can be frustrating. Liposuction provides a minimally-invasive solution. Liposuction works to suction out unwanted fat from areas of the body such as the abdomen, thighs and hips, resulting in a slimmer silhouette for you just in time for summer. Read more about body contouring in Zwivel’s article featuring Dr. Kimmel.
- Enlarge your breasts. If you are unhappy with the size or shape of your breasts, augmentation is a great option. This customizable procedure which utilizes saline or silicone implants, can increase the size of small breasts or improve the appearance of uneven breasts.
- Reduce your breasts. Overly large breasts are a cosmetic and a medical concern. Poor posture, clothing issues and chronic back pain are reasons many of our patients request breast reduction surgery. This surgery reduces glandular tissue and fat from the breasts while tightening the breast skin. The results are more esthetically appealing and structurally healthier.
- Lift your breasts. Gravity, aging, weight loss and pregnancy can cause even the best of breasts to droop. A breast lift is designed to combat this drooping and restore a more youthful breast contour.
If you are curious and would like to know if you would be a good candidate for one of these procedures, call to schedule a consultation with Dr.Kimmel. Spring is here, summer is on its way…now is the perfect time: Pottsville – (570) 622-2900. Hazleton – (570) 455-4252.
Considering A Tummy Tuck? Read On
- Wednesday, 30 March 2016 10:15
Are you battling loose tummy skin? Even if you have an excellent work-out routine in place and are watching what you eat, chances are neither of those are taking care of your excess tummy skin. So, if you’ve lost a large amount of weight, are battling an aging tummy, or have lose tummy skin following childbirth, a tummy tuck, or abdominoplasty, may be the perfect solution.
Being in good general health and physically fit are important components to your recovery from any surgery, but they are especially important if you are considering a tummy tuck.
- Your fitness level, emotional stability, realistic expectations and positive attitude are all crucial factors that can aid in your recovery from surgery. Having a good support system is also a definite plus. There isn’t a substitute for moral support, encouragement and help at home following your tummy tuck surgery.
- The healthier you are definitely makes you a better tummy tuck candidate.This is especially true for reducing any potential risks of anesthesia and surgery. Additionally, if you are in good cardiovascular shape and close to your ideal body weight, you should recover from the surgery very well.
- Being physically fit won’t necessarily shorten a normal recovery time, but the healthier and fitter you are the faster your recovery will be. Your body may not actually heal faster than those of a patient who is sedentary and overweight, but you will likely be back to your normal activities sooner. Patients who aren’t fit might experience potential side effects or complications that may prolong their recovery time.
- You should never push harder to make your healing go faster. Listen to your body. It will tell you when you are pushing yourself too hard. Be cautious about getting back to “working” your abdominal muscles too soon following surgery.
Now that spring is almost here, now is the time to consider tummy tuck surgery…and be summer-ready before you know it. Dr. Kimmel welcomes your questions. Call to schedule a consultation, today: Pottsville – (570) 622-2900. Hazleton – (570) 455-4252.
Is An Arm Lift for Me?
- Friday, 15 May 2015 00:00
An arm lift can works wonders for many patients, but the truth is that this procedure is not for everyone. If you are struggling with loose and sagging skin underneath your arms – something that is common with age or weight loss – then an arm lift is ideal. Sagging skin can also results from genetics or sun damage.
However, if your arms are large due to unwanted fat deposits then an arm lift will not correct his problem. Fat deposits can be removed with liposuction, and then paired with an arm lift to provide smooth contours and new shape to your arms. An arm lift alone will not eliminate unwanted pockets of fat, although it may reduce their circumference.
An arm lift is normally performed in our office, under local anesthesia and takes 2-3 hours to perform. Your arms will be very swollen after treatment, but with the use of compression garments for several days, your arms will quickly adapt to their new, beautiful contours.
Finally, an arm lift can leave a considerable scar. In most instances, your scar will be placed inside the arm and as discreetly as possible. However, if you are concerned about the severity, or scar easily, an arm lift may not be the ideal treatment for you.
If you’d like to learn more about arm lifts and learn if this is right for you – contact our office with your questions today.
Velashape for a Smoother Figure
- Friday, 30 January 2015 00:13
Are you frustrated with stubborn deposits of fat, cellulite or loose skin around your midsection or other areas of the body? If you’ve been hitting the gym but still struggle with unwanted fat pockets and smooth that needs to be tighter – consider treatment with Velashape.
Velashape is a revolutionary combination of technologies designed to contour, shape and slim the body without surgery. By improving the appearance of your cellulite and reducing circumference in as few as 4 treatment sessions, Velashape offers impressive results without the downtime.
Velashape can be used to effectively treat many areas of the body including the abdomen, buttocks, thighs and arms. Each area takes about 30 minutes to treat.
Dedicated to providing state-of-the-art non-invasive body contouring, Dr. Robert Kimmel, MD, FACS, P.C. is the area’s only Velashape provider. Velashape has been featured on such national network television programs as Rachel Ray, Oprah and The View.
Dr. Robert Kimmel and his staff welcomes the opportunity to help you achieve your goals for cosmetic enhancement and enjoy a happier, more confident lifestyle.
Weighing the Pros and Cons of a Tummy Tuck
- Thursday, 30 January 2014 04:26
Like all other types of surgery, a tummy tuck has its own set of risks. However, you can avoid the occurrence of such risks and complications through a careful consideration of the pros and cons. During your initial consultation for a tummy tuck here at our Pottsville plastic surgery practice, we include a thorough discussion of the pros and cons of the procedure, including how it could affect you, given your current lifestyle and physical condition.
The following are the pros and cons of a tummy tuck:
- Sculpts and contours the abdomen, helping restore your naturally youthful proportions
- Strengthens the abdominal muscles
- You will look better in swimwear and tight-fitting clothes
- Restores your self-confidence resulting to better relationships with others as well as improved quality of life
- Presence of scar (like all types of surgeries, scar will be present but our highly experienced tummy tuck surgeons will make it as inconspicuous as possible)
- Another pregnancy may cause the abdominal muscles to separate again, compromising the results of your surgery
- Significant weight gain following surgery may have a negative effect on the results
The Need to Choose an Experienced Tummy Tuck Surgeon
When considering a tummy tuck in Pottsville and nearby areas, be sure to select a qualified, experienced plastic surgeon, certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS). As a board certified plastic surgeon with over 15 years of clinical practice experience and member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS) and American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (The Mark of Distinction in Cosmetic Plastic Surgery® ASAPS), Dr. Robert Kimmel welcomes the opportunity to help you achieve your goals and enjoy a happier, more confident lifestyle.
Schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Kimmel by filling out this contact form. You can also reach us at (570)622-2900!