There are many cosmetic and surgical procedures that are appropriate for men. These procedures may increase their self-confidence and self-esteem. For men living with the embarrassing and feminizing condition commonly called “man boobs” or gynecomastia, having intimate relationships or participating in sports can be personally and emotionally devastating – so devastating in fact, that some men completely avoid physical intimacy.
• Men suffering from gynecomastia experience swelling of their breast tissue and tenderness. Excess localized fat and glandular tissue and can also be present in one or both breasts.
• Gynecomastia may be caused by a number of factors, including aging, health conditions which affect hormones, puberty, weight gain and the use of steroids or certain medications.
• The word gynecomastia is of Greek derivation meaning “female breasts” and describes a condition of over-developed breasts in men that can occur at any age.
• Diet and exercise can trim most areas of the body, but gynecomastia seems to be immune to most workout regimens.
Today, with the expertise of Dr. Kimmel and the caring staff of professionals at Keystone Cosmetic Surgery, your concerns about gynecomastia and whether or not to undergo surgery can be put to rest.
• Gynecomastia surgery is technically called “reduction mammaplasty.”
• This very specialized, outpatient surgery reduces breast size and flattens the contours of the chest.
• Surgery usually lasts about two hours. Patients may be discharged after a brief recovery period.
• Most of our patients return to work within a week and wear a snug-fitting compression vest under their clothing for several weeks.
• In severe gynecomastia, the weight of excess breast tissue may cause sagging of the areola. Repositioning of the areola can also be achieved with surgery.
If you are bothered by the size of your breasts, are in good physical health, do not smoke or use drugs, have a positive outlook and realistic goals for improvement – you are the perfect candidate for gynecomastia surgery. Dr. Kimmel is prepared to address your concerns and looks forward to meeting with you. Call to schedule a consultation, today.
According to the recent statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, male breast reduction made it into the top 5 surgical cosmetic procedures for men in 2012. Here at our Hazleton male plastic surgery practice, we won’t be surprised if male breast reduction will be a notch higher in the top 5 list once the 2013 statistics will be revealed. After all, we have a noticed a significant increase in the number of men who visit our clinic for breast removal brought about by gynecomastia or abnormal enlargement of breasts in men.
More Than Just Self-Esteem Issues
According to a study published in the April 2013 issue of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (the official medical journal of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons (ASPS), enlarged breasts in male teens has a negative impact on their self-esteem. Furthermore, head researcher Dr. Brian A. Labow stated that “merely having gynecomastia was sufficient to cause significant deficits in general health, social functioning, mental health, self-esteem, and eating behaviors and attitudes compared with controls (boys without breast enlargement).”
When to Consider Male Breast Reduction at Keystone Surgery Center
By and large, you are an ideal candidate for a male breast reduction procedure if you notice abnormal enlargement of your breasts. In addition, you should:
Your Male Breast Reduction Consultation
A consultation with an experienced male breast reduction surgeon will help you figure out whether or not you are qualified to undergo the surgery. Aside from an assessment of your medical history, a thorough physical exam will be done, too.
Schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Kimmel by filling out this contact form. You can also reach us at (570)622-2900. We look forward to your visit!