Do You Sense Breast Revision in Your Future?
- Wednesday, 30 September 2020 08:38
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
As exciting as it is to schedule a breast procedure, there is also a necessity to understand the risks that exist. Fortunately, it is uncommon for serious complications to occur from procedures like breast augmentation. When you take your time to choose a board-certified plastic surgeon who has performed your selected procedure, your chances of avoiding unnecessary stress are quite good. However, because there is a chance that revision breast surgery may be needed, we mustn’t shy away from discussing how to know if revision is needed. Here, we discuss some of the conditions that lead patients back to their plastic surgeon.
Reasons for Breast Revision Surgery include:
- Capsular contracture. This may be one of the more common complications that can occur after having breast implant surgery. Capsular contracture is the formation of tight, restrictive scar tissue around one or both implants. The formation of a capsule is normal. It is when the capsule becomes rigid that problems may occur.
- Rippling or wrinkling. Regardless of breast implant placement (over or under the muscle), the goal is for the skin to lie smoothly over the breast mound. Rippling and wrinkling are complications that may occur when there is very little natural breast tissue or when the breast implants inserted are too large for the chest.
- Rupture or leakage. The breast implants that are made today are manufactured to prevent leakage and rupture as much as possible. Some implants have multiple shells. Many have a more cohesive silicone gel. Leaks in saline implants are visible because the breast deflates. Silicone leaks are usually only found during a routine MRI.
- Cosmetic problems. There are several cosmetic reasons a patient may choose to undergo revision breast surgery. Some are complications and others are preference. Breast revision may be needed to correct asymmetry, poor shape, poor nipple placement, or thin or tight skin. More often, patients choose revision to replace one implant size for another.
Breast Implant Revision Surgery Offers Several Benefits
Revision breast surgery isn’t a bad thing. There are several benefits to be gained by repeating breast augmentation. These include:
- Improved comfort
- Better looking breasts
- Ability to wear clothing that suits your style
- Improved confidence
Breast augmentation is a big deal. We can help you get results that look like you, only better. To schedule a consultation, contact our Hazleton or Pottsville office.