Why Do We Recommend Compression after Plastic Surgery?
- Friday, 30 April 2021 12:56
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
Most people who plan to undergo plastic surgery expect to have to wear a compression garment afterward. This garment, primarily made of nylon and some type of spandex, is a crucial aspect of post-operative recovery. Fortunately, most garments are carefully made to accomplish the goal of gently pressing on an area. They are rarely overly-tight and uncomfortable. Still, because they do fit snuggly, compression garments can sometimes feel like a bit of a nuisance. Patients sometimes wonder why they need to adhere to the guideline of wearing compression. We discuss that here.
What are the Benefits of using a Compression Garment?
Compression garments are worn at all times after surgery to assist with several aspects of healing.
- It is common to experience swelling after surgery. This happens because fluid builds up in the tissue around the operative area. Compression helps push fluid away from healing tissue.
- Surgical procedures disrupt the blood vessels, which causes small amounts of blood to leak into the operative area. Compression decreases the migration of blood cells from deeper layers of tissue towards the skin.
- Blood circulation. Most patients are somewhat limited in mobility for a few days after having surgery. The lack of physical movement blunts circulation to some degree. Another benefit of wearing a compression garment as directed is that it supports blood moving through the operative area and the body during those few days of relative rest. Keep in mind that it is important to walk short distances as tolerated after plastic surgery.
- Compression garments worn after plastic surgery are not the same as the waist trainers and other compression worn to temporarily shape the body. In the instance of post-op compression, the goal is to help smooth the skin and superficial subcutaneous fat to achieve optimal aesthetic outcomes.
- By reducing swelling and supporting good circulation, compression garments help keep post-operative inflammation to a minimum. Where inflammation is well-managed, there is less pain. Where there is less pain, there is a happier patient!
In the past year, many people who had never thought they would have plastic surgery have decided to take that leap. If you’re interested in learning more about a particular procedure, schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. We’d love to see you in our Pottsville or Hazleton office.