How to Know Your Rhinoplasty was Successful
- Monday, 30 March 2020 08:45
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
Rhinoplasty is the surgical procedure that reshapes the nose to fit more harmoniously on the face. The objective of a nose job is to make the nose blend in better with surrounding facial features. Sometimes, there is a need for structural modifications to enable the patient to breathe more easily. The aesthetic and functional results achieved in this procedure are the hallmarks of its success.
Rhinoplasty surgery can dramatically improve:
- Bridge width
- Bridge profile, by reducing bumps
- Nostril shape, size, and position
- Nasal symmetry
- The shape of the nasal tip, by correcting slant and size
Rhinoplasty procedures may be performed using an open or closed technique. This should be determined based on the structure of the nose and the desired changes, not based on the idea that closed rhinoplasty offers an easier recovery. Both forms of rhinoplasty heal nicely with only short-term discomfort. Rather than focus on incision placement, patients should look at the signs of successful rhinoplasty as:
- For centuries, facial symmetry has been an indicator of overall beauty. It is a particularly important goal in rhinoplasty. Because the nose projects from the face more so than any other facial feature, symmetry is noticed both straight-on and in profile.
- When faced with an either/or situation, a reputable surgeon will choose to preserve optimal breathing over cosmetic improvement. Just before the turn of the century, it was quite normal for rhinoplasty patients to have difficulty breathing after their procedure. This was due to overzealous removal of cartilage, resulting in the collapse of the sides of the nose during inhalation. To reduce this risk, surgeons sculpt the nose more conservatively.
- Facial Harmony. When the nose “fits” the face, it demands just the right amount of attention. The eye is not drawn directly to the nose, but is free to scan all facial features equally.
- Discreet scarring. This is not a matter of open vs. closed rhinoplasty. Experienced surgeons observe the skin and its potential for visible scarring and make incisions in curves or creases in which scars can disappear. A nose that fits is a nose that looks natural.
We respect the individuality of each of our patients and reflect this in our personalized approach to rhinoplasty and other procedures. To schedule a consultation, call our Pottsville or Hazleton office.