Laser Hair Removal: What You Want to Know
- Friday, 15 October 2021 10:50
We’re heading into sweater weather soon, which means we may be dressing in layers of clothing for the next several months. Why would this be a time of year when we would want to think about getting rid of unwanted hair? Shouldn’t that have been a concern we addressed before summer, not after? This is a common school of thought. However, because of the photosensitivity that laser treatments can cause, now is actually a fantastic time to schedule this service.
Here, we discuss a few of the details that patients often want to know before they schedule laser hair removal.
- Treatment sessions are brief. Larger treatment areas can take up to an hour. Small areas like the upper lip or under the arms might take 20 minutes or less.
- There is no downtime. After a laser hair removal session, it’s possible to resume most of your normal activities. You’ll want to avoid sun exposure and excessive heat from, say, a sauna or hot tub, but you can go back to work right away.
- Results last a long time, but they aren’t permanent. Laser hair removal used to be referred to as “permanent hair removal.” It’s more like permanent hair reduction. Patients might experience some degree of regrowth at some point. It is difficult to say how much or when. However, studies have shown that, typically, any regrowth that occurs is sparse, light, and thin. Touch-up treatments may be performed as needed to address this.
- Laser hair removal isn’t painful. The first laser hair removal devices that were developed were sophisticated, but they weren’t as refined as they would get over time. Early hair removal treatments weren’t all that comfortable. Today, advanced laser devices have significantly improved the comfort of treatment. Patients feel a warming sensation and may get a few “zaps” here and there.
- Sun protection is necessary. One of the reasons to begin laser hair removal treatment now is because the sun is less intense than it is during the spring and summer months. Still, if the sun is out, sunscreen should be applied to the treatment area if it is exposed. This is necessary because laser-treated skin is photosensitive skin.
Start your Laser Hair Removal Process Now
Start your laser hair removal treatments now to be ready in time for smooth sailing next summer. The results from laser hair removal are visible right away. However, to get lasting results, we perform multiple sessions about 6 weeks apart. To schedule your consultation for laser hair removal, contact our Pottsville or Hazleton office.