Now Is Not the Time to Forego Self-Care
- Monday, 15 June 2020 07:15
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
Me Time. Is this a term you’ve heard or read about in recent years? It is one aspect of the acclaimed self-care everyone’s been talking about. Self-care is largely misunderstood. Many people perceive self-care as bubble baths and massages only. From this perspective, there is a strong chance that self-care will seem selfish. This is what family therapists and psychologists see all the time: people who need a breakthrough but cannot take a break from their busy lives to achieve that.
Self-care is something we all need and it’s often the very thing we avoid. This can be especially true when we hit bumps in the road of life, as we’ve done in the first half of 2020. In just a matter of months, many parents have gone from working full time away from home to working at home while also overseeing children who are doing schoolwork at home. All of this coincides with the general nervousness that uncertainty brings. To think of Me Time at a time like this may sound counterintuitive. Here’s why it’s not.
Your Me Time Isn’t Just for You
It’s easy to think of Me Time as selfish when we only look at the word “me.” We invite you to see how investing in your own relaxation can serve everyone in your life. When we Me Time, we can:
- Process daily stressors better
- Sleep more soundly
- Feel more energized
- Think more clearly
- Have more emotional resources to give our attention to others
- Teach our children the value of acknowledging and attending to their needs
- Boost our immune system
- Minimize anxiety and depression
Me Time Can be Easy
If you’ve not developed a practice of self-care, you may not know where to start. Many people find that they have no ideas at first. A few suggestions include:
- Go for a walk in nature. Being outdoors amongst trees or in a field or near the water can be not only refreshing but healing during difficult times.
- Go to bed! Whether you need some extra sleep or you’d like to read a book, it is beneficial to set an early bedtime at least once a week. If necessary, trade days with your partner.
- Get moving. That walk in nature is one way, as is dancing in the kitchen, swimming, hiking, and going for a bike ride. Physical movement is an excellent way to release stress.
- Get beautiful. The work-from-home situation that many people have found themselves in can lead to the blues. Regardless of what we do on a daily basis, we like to feel good and feeling attractive feels good. Whether your beauty includes doing your hair differently, putting on makeup, painting your nails, or visiting us for a convenient cosmetic treatment doesn’t matter. It’s all about what brings you joy.
If a professional facial or body treatment sounds like the perfect investment into You, we’d love to serve you. Call our Hazleton or Pottsville office today to schedule a visit.