Planning Your Mommy Makeover Part II: What to Expect After Surgery
- Wednesday, 30 October 2019 06:52
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
In our last post, we discussed some of the steps you can take to prepare for your mommy makeover procedure. In addition to preparation steps, another common question that patients have is what they can expect during their recovery. Seeing that a mommy makeover involves multiple surgical techniques, it makes sense that many patients will feel slightly uneasy as their surgery approaches. We find that, when recovery is explained, there is a lot less stress and a lot more excitement surrounding surgery.
After a Mommy Makeover
- Don’t expect to remember your surgery day. The anesthesia administered during surgery will take a few hours, at least, to wear off. Before it does, you will likely take your first dose of prescription medication to help you stay comfortable. We advise patients to expect to sleep most of the first day. When possible, though, it is important to move a little to keep blood circulation optimal.
- Eat a light diet and drink plenty of clear fluids. Think soup, salads, and snacks. Water is your best friend after surgery and may be enhanced with fruit, tea, and maybe a morning cup of coffee. Diet tips may be included in your post-operative instructions. Sticking to a lighter diet, especially one that includes lots of fresh fruits and vegetables, may help to offset constipation that may occur as a side effect of pain medication.
- Expect back pain. When a mommy makeover includes abdominoplasty, as it usually does, the stomach muscles will feel very tight for the first week. It will likely be impossible to stand up straight. Walking, sitting, and lying in a somewhat bent position can put a bit of strain on the low back. Over time, as the muscles loosen (in a week or two), it will be possible to stand and walk normally. Gentle massage or heat on the low back may be administered to improve comfort.
- Expect a bit of an emotional roller coaster. This is a big one. The combination of the physical aspects of surgery, medication, and post-operative discomfort makes most patients a little more emotional than normal. Some patients experience vast changes in their emotional state within a few minutes, ranging from ecstatic that they will have a great body to crying over the fact that they need help to the bathroom. Knowing that these emotions are all normal is an important step in moving through them with more ease.
- Don’t skip your meds. It’s possible that the worst thing you can do after a mommy makeover is to skip your pain medication. The pain of multiple surgeries can be intense and is not something to tackle naturally. We suggest setting an alarm so you and your caregiver can ensure your pain medications are taken on time every time. Rest assured, in a week or two you will not need these medications. Until then, take them as directed.
The team in our Pottsville and Hazleton offices has done this before. Many times. We’ve got you covered with assistance before and after your mommy makeover. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.