The Factors Behind Aging Are . . .
- Tuesday, 15 May 2018 05:53
- Keystone Cosmetic Surgery Center
It’s safe to say that we’ve reached an understanding with the process of aging. We know we cannot stop it, and also know that we don’t have to accept every aspect of aging as “the norm.” The prevalence of cosmetic procedures is evidence of our willingness to take aging by the horns. From our two offices, we are proud to serve patients from Philadelphia, Scranton, Allentown, and Harrisburg with options to resolve cosmetic concerns. Additionally, we believe in supporting each individual’s right to age gracefully with pertinent information. Here, we point out the factors that may cause aging to occur sooner and faster than we’d like.
Knowing Your Hand
In a card game, you win by knowing your hand and how to use it to your advantage. Knowing the cards, or factors, that can age the skin prematurely, enables you to offset this risk accordingly. There are several factors to aging, most of which can be controlled. These include:
- UV damage. The fact that UV light from sunshine is ever-present doesn’t mean that you have to agree to UV damage. The truth is that UV damage is largely within your control. It is ideal to get an early start with sun protection using broad spectrum sunscreen because the damage that occurs beneath the surface can take years to become evident. Regardless of your current age, now is a great time to see us for treatment to offset sun damage.
- Poor quality sleep. Did you know that growth hormones are produced during the deep states of sleep? These growth hormones are relevant to tissue regeneration and cellular turnover. Therefore, a lack of sleep can do a doozy on your skin. Give your body every chance it needs to repair DNA damage and rejuvenate itself by getting the rest it tells you it needs. For some people, that’s six hours a night; for others, its nine. Listen to your needs and you’re taking strides toward more graceful aging.
- Too much alcohol. We’re learning much more about the positive and negative effects of alcohol consumption lately. On one hand, beverages like red wine offer certain benefits to health and longevity. On the other hand, red wine and other alcoholic beverages have a diuretic effect. That means that drinking can dehydrate the body and deplete the skin of the moisture that keeps is soft and supple.
We may not be able to control all of the factors of aging, but we can treat concerns safely and efficiently. To explore how we can help you refresh your look, call our Pottsville or Hazleton office.